UV light is used in devices to treat water for bacteria. UV isn’t needed on normal city water because it’s already been sanitized (usually with chlorine). The municipality must do this in order to make the water safe for the public to drink. (However, as a homeowner, you might want to remove the chlorine from the water by using one of a few different available methods.) It would be redundant to use a UV light, though, because the water has already been sanitized with chlorine.
We typically put in UV lights whenever a home uses a private well system. Because well water hasn’t already been sanitized (e.g. with chlorine by a municipality), a UV light is actually the most effective and cost-effective way to treat for bacteria. Whereas chlorine is more cost-effective at a large scale for municipalities, for a private system, UV is going to be the best option.
To find out what method would be the best for your home, it all starts with giving us a call and having our water treatment specialist come out to perform a test for bacteria. We have to send the sample to a lab because we can’t test for bacteria directly in-home. Once we get the test results back, we’ll be able to assess whether there is bacteria in the water and propose a system for treatment.
If you want more information about UV treatment and whether it’s suitable for your home, or give us a call at 540-483-9382..